May 06, 2006

What is your perfect major?


You scored as Journalism. You are an aspiring journalist, and you should major in journalism! Like me, you are passionate about writing and expressing yourself, and you want the world to understand your beliefs through writing.

Journalism


83%

Biology


75%

Dance


75%

Philosophy


67%

Sociology


67%

English


67%

Anthropology


67%

Chemistry


67%

Engineering


58%

Mathematics


58%

Linguistics


50%

Psychology


50%

Theater


42%

Art


42%

What is your Perfect Major?
created with QuizFarm.com


Not exactly what turned out to be my major 30 years ago (first sociology, then development economics) and I think I would have sucked at journalism. I'm amazed I scored so low for Art, considering my BA Sociology thesis was about punk rock. But maybe the test reflects my current priorities decades after what I aspired to as a would-be student.
I also think that journalism shouldn't be taught as a major, only as a minor degree because journalists' first duty should be to master their subject and then hone their writing craft, not the other way round as is usually the case. Hence the shoddy journalism in much of the media. Blogging included.

No comments: