December 05, 2007

I haven't slept yet this week

You must think me crazy for wanting to watch television after a hard day's work in television land, but I do, so I maybe am. But who can resist such a wonderful smorgasbord of British comedy every night this month on NZ's version of UK TV?
Complete reruns of Fawlty Towers, Absolutely Fabulous, Little Britain, Two Pints of Lager And A Packet of Crisps, Shameless (all every night), plus a gaggle of shows I hadn't seen before and will look forward to. It just amuses me greatly.
A surprising gem so far has been My Life in Film, and based on watching just one episode - a delicious remake of Hitchcock's Rear Window, minus the gorgeous Grace Kelly, but with a gormless male flatmate of the voyeur - I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series.
Fawlty Towers just looks as fun as ever, it never bores me, and I trust it never bores you either.
No gay household is complete with its one-liners from AbFab being banded about, even 15 years after the first series was made. My favourite one is:
Edina [talking about Germaine Greer]: "Mr Gravity has been very unkind to that woman."
I'm a bit unsure about Little Britain. Not all sketches, recurring threads and characters are a triumph, especially the PM's gay assistant Sebastian, the granny humper and the Fat Fighting woman are very unfunny. But narrator Tom Baker is just brilliant and by far my favourite bit in the series.
It's so good to see Frank and his brood again in Shameless, and I do want to stay up for that until way past my bedtime. I love it that the camera always wants to get Lip's delectable naked pasty-white arse in the frame.
I shall just have to put match sticks between my eyelids lest I miss one nanosecond of this televisual feast.

No comments: