March 03, 2008

My ecological footprint

You need for:
Food 1.2 global hectares
Mobility 1.3 global hectares
Shelter 0.3 global hectares
Goods/Services 1.2 global hectares

TOTAL FOOTPRINT: 4 global hectares

In comparison, the average ecological footprint in your country is 8.7 global hectares per person (1.8ha per person is currently available worldwide)
If everyone lived like you, we would need 2.2 planets.

Check your ecological footprint here.

I'm not surprised my footprint is about half the New Zealand average: I use full-time public transport for work and we have no reticulated water. Plus our home is quite small and we can grow some of our food ourselves.
Becoming more energy independent will be hard work: solar panels are still unaffordable and there is not much on the horizon that can replace ferry and bus diesel sustainably and without adding CO2.
I'll have to drink more Waiheke Island wine.

No comments: