April 09, 2011

The not-so-Almighty Johnsons

I have been sitting through a locally (New Zealand) made TV series, called "The Almighty Johnsons", for a few weeks now and I wish I could get that time of my life back. I can't remember laughing with any of the scenes, caring for any of the characters or wondering and bothering what will happen next. It has more excruciable acting and mangled vowels than a Viking battle. The story line is so thin it barely progresses episode by episode, no multiple layer stories or surprising grand arcs. Not even a memorable quote or joke - just that cringeing one the writers must have liked so much they put it in twice (comparing the rune alphabet with dancing trees).
I can but dream how the series would have been completely hilarious had, say, Rick Mayall and Ade Edmondson in their "Bottom" incarnations, found themselves as Norse gods who lost their mojo unless they can score with a saucy lady down the pub (after lock-in).

No comments: